ffafa

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Fuel saving...petrol way but NOT my way.

Last weekend, my sister-in-law came to our house and tried to promote a 'Biomolecule' additive to increase engine performance and fuel saving up to 25%.

When I read the brochure, it's stated that a standard fuel consumption of RM 0.25 per km (I think this is conservative value based on ideal conditions, I guess most old car can go to 30 cents or more). With a saving of 25% only equates to RM 0.0625 that gives you RM 0.1875 per km.

I'm smile when I look at these figures since when I'm first started using compressed natural gas as alternative fuel besides regular unleaded petrol I recorded every single time I refuel.

The average gas consumption for my car is RM 0.06 per km. The consumption can be from as low as RM 0.04 to RM 0.07 per km.

Look at the saving using compressed natural gas = RM 0.19 per km(no fuel additive added).

Say you run 100 km.
Petrol - you will spend RM 25.00
Gas (CNG) - you will only spend RM 6.00 .....RM 19.00 saving. which means you can go extra about 316 km more. That about 3.16 times.

That about from KL to Alor Setar in Kedah (of course that the theory since max. 1 tank of 66-litre gas can only go about 200 km before refueling and there's one one place to refuel up north; Penang.)

Can you see that...I'm really feel I made a correct and timely decision to convert my car to use compressed natural gas. Forget about the initial cost...which about RM 3,000 to 5,000 depending on type of engine. You can easily recoup the cost through saving in less than a year.

Ignore all the skeptic view around converting such as long queue,heavy,not many refueling stations,too many taxis etc... Look at the saving. You can treat all you friend with a round of proper meal and still look fine.

I personally, saves around RM 10 per day or about RM 300 per month.I'm hardly using petrol now unless in unavoidable situation.

Of course, people say the saving due to low gas price which is at RM 0.68 per litre compared to RM 1.92 per litre for petrol.

Well, look globally such Argentina, Brazil, Pakistan. The gas price is lower than petrol. That's why people using it. NOT because they are environmentally-conscious although it's comes handy since it emits less carbon monoxide and others.


1 comment:

Haans said...

May I check where to refill NGV in Penang?

My dad used to visit there frequently and I hope to help me to search some info.

Cheers